Paul Tansom wrote:
> OK, somewhat prompted by my current state of mind and recent events, but
> a valid question none the less.
>
> For those that have non-technical other halves, relatives or etc. who
> don't know other techies, what, if anything, have you in place for the
> contingency of not being there to support your systems? I'm not thinking
> so much a desktop system, but if you have a server handling mail,
> printing, file sharing, etc. that would likely be over kill or not
> wanted without yourself to support it, do you have details of what to do
> with it and/or an envelope with passwords put to one side?
>
> Maybe I'm just thinking too much (and not too clearly) as I try to
> reintegrate myself into the real world to some extent!

I had also wondered  about such things. Outside of my in-house family,
who are non techie, the other wider family members continue to use
stuff from the dark side. This means that although the day to day
stuff here would continue to work, including email, my significant
other would need professional or trusted help for any initial admin
decisions at all, even, in principle, which machines contained just
hobby stuff (what do you mean 'just!'?)  and could be ignored, and
what the various machines contained etc.

I had wondered maybe that as time goes on, a local lug  could be
considered as a point of contact?

In the event, *I* will be ok won't I?  I am sure they do not use
Windows where I am hoping to go.
:-)
--
alan cocks