> Is there a way of writing some sort of script, combined with a user
> > account, that when/if you were to log on with this specific account, the
> > script would start with admin rights and wipe your HDD's ?
>
> What do some of you guys have on your HDD's that you want so much to
> wipe.......!
> --
> alan cocks
> Ubuntu user #10391
> Linux user #360648

I feel one of those "Moral of the story is" type emails coming on. This
will be slightly off topic but the end is relative.

I had a PC from the Newbury Freecycle, which I installed Ubuntu on, and
then passed on.
When I got the PC home I booted up, 800mhz PC running Win98.
Unfortunately the HDD still had important docs from Aug last year, plus
a nice collection of holiday pics of the couples three children etc,
etc, and Outlook Express still had all their emails.

Being honest I didnt look at the docs, I saw the names and decided
against being nosey, for once in my life. The HDD was taken out and
returned to the couple within 20 mins of picking up the machine. This is
the problem when you dont know these things, like being told that you
need to wipe/format HDD's when you pass machines on to strangers.

The moral of the story here is :
A) - Being morbid. When your gone, your families going to be worrying
about other stuff. Some of you have mentioned that your wifes arnt
technical. So my thinking is would they just give the machines away ?
Rather than have the added worry of getting the HDD's wiped ?

B) - Ive got important documents on my machine. Id rather have something
there that would auto wipe the HDD's as easily as logging in. Better to
do this than assuming someone will do it after your gone. Its a lot less
painfull, less worry, unless the machines are going to family in which
case Im over doing the plot, but my partner isnt technical, she can
handle switching on, and going to google & check emails, but thats about
her level of computer use. She even bugs the crap outta me about whether
the machine has been switched off properly.

So my partner would probably give my PC's away to the first person who
asked for them, purely because she wouldnt have the savvy on how to wipe
HDD's even if I printed out a "Howto" with pictures. She has different
priorities to me.

So the moral of the story is that to save a lot of worry and time,
wouldnt it be easier to have the script to auto wipe, then have the
machines handed to family, friends, strangers etc ? So at least we would
go knowing that the HDD's had been taken care of the easiest route.

So Im afraid your all going to be disappointed, no hidden agenda in this
corner.