Peter Brooks wrote:
> Hi all,
> After a friend has had his full spec macbook pro 15" stolen from his
> house, I'm considering beefing up my laptop security.
> My initial thoughts are to encrypt /home,/tmp and swapspace. But to
> ideally that when the computer is locked (gnome) then the volume is
> re-encrypted until it's locked.
> The other side of the security I suppose would be tracking the laptop
> whilst stolen.
>
> Any thoughts?

Not too sure about encrypting system areas...there will be a performance
trade-off.  Perhaps start by encrypting a specific directory with really
important stuff. Also be prepared for encryption to fail in your backup
and recovery plan.

Try prey....

http://preyproject.com/

I put gdm into auto-login mode. This loads up an account called
makemoneyfast after a few seconds. Its scattered with get rich quick
stuff and bogus bank details to keep them interested and away from the
real data.

And within a minute or so an email comes with a pile of details
including screen and camera shots of the thief sitting at the keyboard.

And yes prey is Open Source....there must be a pun there somewhere ;-)

Berni