Peter Brooks wrote:
> Hi all,
> After a friend has had his full spec macbook pro 15" stolen from his
> house, I'm considering beefing up my laptop security.
> My initial thoughts are to encrypt /home,/tmp and swapspace. But to
> ideally that when the computer is locked (gnome) then the volume is
> re-encrypted until it's locked.
> The other side of the security I suppose would be tracking the laptop
> whilst stolen.

The main preventative factor is to review and improve the thieve's
means of entry to the house. Second breakins are not uncommon.

If the laptop is on view, reconsider  where it is kept. I know someone
who leaves the laptop bag out, but the machine itself is always kept
inside a locked cabinet. If it must be left out on view then at least
use a permanent kensington chain, it will cause damage to be removed
making the machine of little resale value.
--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user