I have been reading the rsync documentation and it has left me
confused as there is so much of it and so many permutations. I need
help to work out the correct 'spell'

I keep my geneweb database on a local headless server and do all my
updating of the database on that system. The database lives
in /var/lib/geneweb/mybase. There are 9 binary files and several
text files which don't change very often.

I need to 'copy' those files to my remote geneweb server on a daily
basis so the public database is in sync with my local database.

I have been doing this by using the built-in geneweb tools for
backing-up the data, using scp to copy the back-up file, which is plain
text, to the remote server, then doing a restore there to get the
latest version,

For some reason, which may be down to the fact I am  using squeeze on
the local server but haven't updated the remote server which is still
on lenny, restoring from a backup isn't working (it does work on the
local server if I restore to a test database)

So I have been re-considering using rsync, I had tried using it some
time ago but found that the 'spell' I was using left me with corrupted
files at the remote end.

My understanding is that rsync doesn't copy complete files but only the
differences, so for safety I want to copy any locally updated files as a
complete file to the remote server.

I do not want to remove any files on the remote server that do not
exist locally. (eg there is a file called forum on the remote
server which contains messages left by people accessing the Forum
facility on the remote database)

I need to be able to change the file owner from that of the local user
to that of the remote user, keeping permissions the same.

I haven't set up the local server so it can do password-less scp to the
remote server which incidentally has a non-standard port for scp.

So I probably need to transfer files from the local geneweb server to
my main system then scp them from that system to the remote server. I
did mention the local server is headless and I only access it via scp
(or the browser interface to the database) and I don't think it likely I
can do rsync through an intermediary system.

Apologies for the long post, this problem is something that would be
easier to explain face to face rather than via email. One of the things
I miss now I can't easily attend BaB meetings is the ability to find
an expert to sort things out for me ;-)

--
John Lewis
using Debian sid