On 11 February 2011 18:36, john lewis <johnle...@hantslug.org.uk> wrote:
> I have been reading the rsync documentation and it has left me
> confused as there is so much of it and so many permutations. I need
> help to work out the correct 'spell'
>
> I keep my geneweb database on a local headless server and do all my
> updating of the database on that system. The database lives
> in /var/lib/geneweb/mybase. There are 9 binary files and several
> text files which don't change very often.
>
> I need to 'copy' those files to my remote geneweb server on a daily
> basis so the public database is in sync with my local database.
>
> I have been doing this by using the built-in geneweb tools for
> backing-up the data, using scp to copy the back-up file, which is plain
> text, to the remote server, then doing a restore there to get the
> latest version,
>
> For some reason, which may be down to the fact I am  using squeeze on
> the local server but haven't updated the remote server which is still
> on lenny, restoring from a backup isn't working (it does work on the
> local server if I restore to a test database)

rsync is good so I think the problem is elsewhere.
Some ideas to help diagnose the problem.
One easy way to test if rsync is doing the job is to do
sha256sum -b *  >sha256sum.txt

This should create a file containing all the checksums of the files in
the current directory.
You then rsync all the files to the remote server.
You then do on the destination server.
sha256sum -c

This will check with a high level of certainty that the file both
local and remote are identical.

When you do the rsync from the database, I would not compress the
backup of the database.
This will let rsync send less data after the first initial transfer.

Regards

James