On Tue, 7 Jun 2011 16:40:55 +0100, Rob Malpass wrote:
Hi all

Keeping this as short as possible - if I want to have an ethernet
socket in 2 rooms other than the room which contains the router, do I
have to run 2 cables (one from study to room A and another from study
to room B) or can I run one cable (from study to room A then on from
room A to room B)?

If you have a hub or switch in Room A, then you can use your second set up. The hub or switch will provide the connectivity for Room B as well as for any devices located in Room A. If that isn't acceptable for whatever reason then you will need to use your first set up.

I've had all sorts of different stories from local aerial installers
who are happy to drill the holes but not sure of the wiring! Last
question: one bloke told me I can't run the cables outside without
fitting some sort of lightning rod at each end costing hundreds of
quid - surely this is wrong? At least - ntl engineer who did exactly
this at my old house didn't mention it when he did precisely the same
job!

Running cables outside the building increases the risk of EM interference (be it from lightning or whatever), but I don't believe it is a legal requirement. There is "rugged" Cat5e made for running outside buildings. It gets slightly more complicated when providing network connectivity between buildings on different electrical systems, but I will assume that's not the case here.

Tony