On Tuesday 07 June 2011 16:40:55 Rob Malpass wrote:
> Keeping this as short as possible - if I want to have an ethernet
socket in
> 2 rooms other than the room which contains the router, do I have
to run 2
> cables (one from study to room A and another from study to room
B) or can I
> run one cable (from study to room A then on from room A to room
B)?

> If running the cables internally I'd be running two cables each
connected
> to the hub - but the more cables I run outside the bigger the hole I
have
> to drill or the more holes I have to drill risking it look unsightly.
>

> I've had all sorts of different stories from local aerial installers who
> are happy to drill the holes but not sure of the wiring!   Last
question:
> one bloke told me I can't run the cables outside without fitting
some sort
> of lightning rod at each end costing hundreds of quid - surely this is
> wrong? At least - ntl engineer who did exactly this at my old house
didn't
> mention it when he did precisely the same job!

I have just done something similar while renovating my house. It's not
that hard, but it needs a little thought.

Ethernet is usually run in a star topology, that is, each "outlet" is
connected to a central switch by a single cable. Variations on this
involve using more than one switch.

Running cables inside is easy if you readily have access below/above
floors etc, but it is best done when redecorating! Running cables
outside needs no particular protection, but protecting the cable will
make it last longer. I would use 22mm plastic overflow pipe run so
that the cables came out through wall boxes. 22mm pipe will take
about 4 network cables maximum. You will probably need to hire an
appropriate SDS drill, especially if drilling through brick.

While you're doing this, put in more lines than you think you'll use.
You'll find a use for them, I can assure you! I have found comms-
express to be good for networking. http://www.comms-express.com

Hope this helps,

Tim B.

--
OpenPilot - Open-source Marine Chart Plotter
openDynamics - Open-source Vessel Motions Calculation