Hello Bob,

OK, not running Debian (/me on *buntu, actually Mint 12 but that is pretty much 11.10), but I did exactly what you want to do. I feel your pain, Gentoo made this a lot easier. The portage system is just so much easier to manipulate.

Anyhow, I managed to grok a way to do this on MintBuntu. In principle it should be similar enough to Debian, so here is what I did -

* Pinned all my kernel packages by adding the following fragment to the bottom my /etc/apt/preferences file: