> For a bit of fun, I thought I'd install simh and recreate a bit of student
> days playing with vms [1].   As ever, I've fallen just beyond the first
> hurdle.   This thing builds from source and I'm rusty.

Is it not available in the repo for your distro?

That's often easier than building from source...

> When doing the make
> specified on [1], I'm getting can't find libpcap.a in /usr/local/lib

You might need to rebuild libpcap from source to get that; the package
usually comes with a .so for dynamic linking, rather than the .a.

Alternatively, you might find that simh can be built for shared libraries.

Vic.