> A convincing argument for GNOME 2 you have there.

It was your argument in support of Unity. I was trying to point out how
fatuous it is.

> Reducing it down to 'them and us' doesn't help

Of course it doesn't. It does, however, reflect the approach many of us
experience when we say that Unity and Gnome3 are flawed. Apparently, that
makes us "neck beards", which I would say is fairly demonstrative of a
"them and us" situation.

> it's not as simple as
> that. Although someone probably has to be wrong, and sure, it could be us.

The saddening part of this is that we could both have what we want. The
whole search metaphor could be bound to an accelerator key, giving your
side of the fence your favourite paradigm, whilst simultaneously allowing
our side to have the desktop we think is superior. Menus and panels are
trivially removed in Gnome2.

Unfortunately, we haven't got that. We've got a new idiom pushed onto us.
And we don't like it.

> We do regular user testing with people (pretty much) off the street and
> that helps to feed back to our design and development processes.

Well, your test subjects seem to be producing results entirely at odds
with mine. Are you giving them a side-by-side Gnome2/Unity comparison, or
are you giving them two versions of Unity and asking for their preference?
The latter would give skewed responses...

> We welcome new designs for features and behaviours & suggestions for new
> or changed behaviour on our Unity design mailing list, and irc channels.

Here's my suggestion: reinstate the Gnome2-like desktop. Do you honestly
think that will get treated seriously if I were to suggest it on IRC?
Because I've experienced quite enough invective for one week,
thankyouverymuch.

> We do listen

[citation needed]

Vic.