> It wasn't meant in support of Unity

It was your response to Chris' comment that
'""There's our way, and there's the wrong way" is not an attitude I ever
expected to find so openly espoused in the Unix world, and especially not
in the Linux world.'

That would seem to be your argument in response to his position. My
apologies if I have inadvertently assumed some inadvertent causality in
your post.

>> Are you giving them a side-by-side Gnome2/Unity comparison, or
>> are you giving them two versions of Unity and asking for their
>> preference?
>> The latter would give skewed responses...
>
> I'm not privy to the exact circumstances under which the most recent
> tests are performed. However in the past I believe they have been given
> one machine running Unity and a list of tasks to perform. Here's a
> summary of what was done last year.
>
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2011-April/032988.html

"The test machine was a Lenovo ThinkPad T410i running Ubuntu Natty with
unity 3.8.2-0ubuntu1 and compiz 1:0.9.4git20110322-0ubuntu5."

So it's not a side-by-side test to see which model users prefer, it's a
simplistic "can they use this model?" test. Like I said, that will give
you skewed results; that later improvements help users to use the
unfamiliar model does not make that model the one those users would choose
if they actually had a free choice.

> That specific point is tricky given upstream GNOME project have
> abandoned GNONME 2.

I thought Ubuntu was all about making Linux useful for Joe Average? If, as
is my belief, Gnome2 is the more usable interface, that would seem to
imply that it should be forked and continued. Again, my profuse apologies
if I have inappropriately inferred some sense of trying to assist users in
the meaning of "enhance the initial experience of new Ubuntu users" from
the Mission Statement at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BeginnersTeam/MissionStatement. I likewise
apologise if I have inadvertently indferred some sort of insult in the
term "neck beard" bandied around earlier in this thread.

> https://lists.launchpad.net/unity-design/msg07682.html

Talk about window dodging. Not really about G2/Unity.

> https://lists.launchpad.net/unity-design/msg07665.html

Same thread. Still nothing about why users might prefer not to use Unity.

> http://tinyurl.com/76npbtp

A bug tracker. Unique...

> https://errors.ubuntu.com/

And a graph from it. How many bugs are cleared out because they have
become stale, rather than being fixed? I notice that a bug I filed is no
longer showing against the package, despite another page telling me its
status is "confirmed". And I gave the fix in the bug report (back in
2008).

> We also get verbal feedback from people.

Do you call them all "neck beards"?

> So yeah, we do listen.

Selective listening really doesn't cut the mustard, I'm afraid.

> Unless all someone has to say is "it sucks" in which case Linux Mint /
> Debian / Fedora etc are -> that way.

It's easy to hear exactly that when someone is telling you something you
don't want to hear, even if the actual words used are decidedly different.

Vic.