On Friday 20 July 2012 09:35:06 Leszek Kobiernicki 1 wrote:
> Novatech once sold us 150 ECS motherboard-based boxes, quite a number of
> which had a faulty 2nd channel, so I ended up having to be creative with
> getting all the drives connected ..  ( ECS is a cheap & cheerful copy of
> MSI )

If they were faulty, could you not just get them replaced under the guarantee?

> I heard someone bought a Win_7 box from them, who when he asked how to
> get familiar with it ( he was used to XP ), got the brush-off, in very
> short order - they refused to help him, in any way

That does no chime with my experience at all.  I have always found them very
ready to help and very helpful.  They have not even blanched at the L word.

> To circumvent this deadlock, I'm going to help him migrate to a Linux
> OS, with help/support from/through our Ports LUG

Far be it from me to dissuade anyone from installing Linux for someone else,
but why not give him the help he wants with Windows 7 and then install Linux
as  dual boot?  It seems a bit of a pity to blow away something for which he
has paid good money - and Novatech overtly charges for Windows.

> No need to leave anyone out in the cold, like the box-shifters seem to
> like to do !

In my experience, and I have bought a lot from them over the years, Novatech
does not leave people out in the cold.  I would be interested to know what
had happened to get your acquaintance into this situation.

Lisi