> This was the only copy of the backup data I had. I managed to
> recover the data by attempting to repair the filesystem (ext4) using fsck
> which put the data in lost+found. The only snag was that all the
> (thousands
> of) directory names (about 10 years of accumulated data) have been
> replaced
> by their inode numbers. This was down to the corruption being related to
> "multiply claimed inode blocks" or some such.

I've had a few such issues with ext4. I'm looking at moving all my systems
back to ext3 - it might not be as fast, but it does seem a whole lot more
resilient...

> BTW, how much is expensive? I recently bought a new 2T WD Caviar Green
> from an eBay trader for £75 inc postage.

I'm not sure I'd have done that deal. eBay is great for many things, but I
don't think I'd trust my data to some guy flogging cheap knock-offs...

Vic.