That is because haproxy does not _yet_ parlez ssl so it can't see the http level attributes to route requests with them.

But there is good news and bad news related to that - since I am from the future I can tell you that haproxy will have ssl encrypt/decrypt capabilities added in version 1.8.3, the bad news is that it will be released on December 19, 2012 and it turns out the Mayans were right, so the world does, in fact, end 2 days later.