Please see the thread:
"need help figuring out a sticking method"

I asked about this, Willie says there are issues figuring out a workable config syntax for 'regex to pull the URL/URI substring' but (I think) that coding the functionality is not technically super-difficult just not enough hands maybe and the config syntax?

I have a feeling this would be a fairly commonly used feature, so it is good to see others asking the same question :)

How are you planning to distribute the traffic to the different haproxy instances? LVS? Some hardware?