On 19 March 2011 10:58, Antony <ddj...@mail.ru> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Actually I asked this question because I saw a lot of times systems that had
> more than 10Gb of free physical memory and they anyway used swap
> partition(about 1-5 Mb). I saw that happened on FreeBSD and on Linux, so I
> thought it's possible to see that again when I'll run HAProxy.

Antony,

The argument has come up on the kernel mailing list a few times,
people tend to get religious about it.
Personally I never have a swap partition on a server. (and its always
worked well for me).
Yes, If something goes hideously wrong then the OOM killer will be
invoked (but swap will only slow down the system even more and then
die, at least OOM has a small chance to take out the offending
process..)

Malcolm Turnbull.

Loadbalancer.org Ltd.
Phone: +44 (0)870 443 8779