Great help! Thank you for your time! Much appreciated!

________________________________
 From: David Coulson <da...@davidcoulson.net>
To: Hermes Flying <flyingher...@yahoo.com>
Cc: Baptiste <bed...@gmail.com>; "haproxy@formilux.org" <haproxy@formilux.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2012 11:13 PM
Subject: Re: HAproxy and detect split-brain (network failures)

In general, yes, Pacemaker is reliable. If your config is wrong, you may still
have an outage in the event of a failure.

That said, if you are a business and need support, you probably want
    to use whatever clustering software ships with the distribution you
    use. I belive SuSE uses pacemaker, but RedHat still uses rgmanager.
    Pacemaker is tech preview in RHEL6 but will be mainline in 7. I
    believe RedHat employ some core developers of pacemaker.

David

On 11/29/12 4:10 PM, Hermes Flying wrote:

Thank you for your help.
>I take it that you are find Pacemaker reliable in your experience? Should I
>look into it?
>

>From: David Coulson mailto:da...@davidcoulson.net

                connectivity, and move the VIP, otherwise the VIP may
                continue to run on a system which does not have access
                to your network. This has nothing at all to do with
                split brain.

>If you want to deal with split brain, add a third node.
                Period. You also want to have redundant heartbeat
                communication paths. You also want STONITH/fencing so if
                one node detects the other is down it'll power it off or
                crash it. I've not had issues with a two-node cluster
                with two diverse backend communication links and fencing
                enabled.

>David
>

>On 11/29/12 3:58 PM, Hermes Flying wrote:
>
>"You can have pacemaker ping an IP (gateway for example) and migrate the VIP
>based on that"
>>How does this help for splitbrain?
>>If I understand what you say, pacemaker will ping an IP and if successfull
>>will assume that the other node has crashed. But what if the other node
>>hasn't and it is just their communication link that failed? Won't both become
>>primary?
>>How does the ping help?
>>

>>From: David Coulson mailto:da...@davidcoulson.net

                                    using Pacemaker. Do you recommend it
                                    for splitbrain so that I look into
                                    that direction?

>>Any two node cluster has risk of split
                            brain. if you implement fencing/STONITH, you
                            are in a better place. If you have a third
                            node, that's even better, even if it does
                            not actually run any services beyond the
                            cluster software

>>I mean when you say that pacemaker restart HAProxy, does it detect network
>>failures as well? Or only SW crashes?
>>>I assume pacemaker will be aware of
                                    both HAProxy1 and HAProxy2 in my
                                    described deployment

You can have pacemaker ping an IP (gateway for example) and migrate the VIP
based on that. In my config I have haproxy configured as a cloned resource in
pacemaker, so all nodes have the same pacemaker config for haproxy and it keeps
haproxy running on all nodes all of the time.