Hi James!

> I always receive a HTTP 200 response to my browser

How do you know that? Do you have a browser extension or are you
using tcpdump/wireshark? Can you show this with a curl request, so
that we understand whats going on excatly? Something like this
should do the job:
curl -vv http://1.2.3.4:80/nonexistingfile-bla-bla >/dev/null

In what condition does this happen (when you have less than 2
backends alive or even with 2 or more backends alive?)

> sends back HTTP 200 when at least 2 back end

Nope, afaik haproxy should never generated 200 OK, expect on the
stats page. When you see 200 OK, than that response is usually
coming directly from the backend.

> default_backend http--servers
> [...]
> backend http-servers
               ^

The config doesn't seem to match, there are 2 hyphens in the
frontend configuration when referring to the backend, but the
backend is named with a single hyphen.

Can you please post the complete configuration (obfuscate
confidential data, but leave everything else as is).

Please post the output of haproxy -vv.

In the end, either capturing the backend traffic with tcpdump
or enabling the debug mode will show us what happens.

Cheers,

Lukas