> Is the latest snapshot really what you recommend for running in production?

That depends ;)

The thing is, if you already run the development branch (1.5), its likely
that a snapshot contains more bugfixes - which you may be interested in
(like [1]). Of course a snapshot on the other hand is more likely to be
broken than a -dev releases.

Personally I decide whether to use a -dev release or a snapshot by reading
the snapshots changelog (or the git log): if a big change (like a fancy new
feature) has been committed recently, then you probably want to avoid it for
your big production box, and give it some time. But when the branch is calm
for a bit or has seen only minor fixes or changes, then the snapshot is
probably worth a shot.

For example the current git tree contains 12 patches from the last 48 hours :
I would refrain from putting it in production for mission critical services
without carefully testing it first.

If you are isolating a bug on a non-production box however, I suggest you
try this with a snapshot.

Keep in mind that if no one uses the development branch, no one will report
bugs and that will ultimately lead to a literally unstable development
branch. The more users run recent code and report bugs in the 1.5 branch,
the more stable it will become.

If you run a -dev release, I suggest you run the latest -dev available.

Regards,

Lukas

[1]
http://haproxy.1wt.eu/git?p=haproxy.git;a=commitdiff;h=379357af5842e1cfa176b06165268d6c48f34631