Hi Malcolm,

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 12:01:25AM +0000, Malcolm Handley wrote:
> That's sound advice. We'll upgrade soon and see whether anything changes.
>
> Is the latest snapshot really what you recommend for running in production? I
> was nervous about using a dev release but we desperately needed support for
> the proxy protocol.

You're right to feel nervous :-)

That said, Lukas is right on this point, and the issue you're talking about
was fixed in dev18 :

  commit cf181c9d404815f890da7cd2243a5528edd7b4f9
  Author: Willy Tarreau <w...@1wt.eu>
  Date:   Fri Jan 18 15:22:41 2013 +0100

    BUG/MINOR: epoll: use a fix maxevents argument in epoll_wait()

    epoll_wait() takes a number of returned events, not the number of
    fds to consider. We must not pass it the number of the smallest fd,
    as it leads to value zero being used, which is invalid in epoll_wait().
    The effect may sometimes be observed with peers sections trying to
    connect and causing 2-seconds CPU loops upon a soft reload because
    epoll_wait() immediately returns -1 EINVAL instead of waiting for the
    timeout to happen.

    This fix should be backported to 1.4 too (into ev_epoll and ev_sepoll).

The fix was backported into 1.4.23 as well, so you can use it with Cyril's
proxy protocol patch. BTW, I seem to have finished merging fixes, so I'll
soon issue a dev19 and 1.4.24.

Best regards,
Willy