Guys, I found a workaround which seems to be working quit ewell at the
moment. For some reason the kernel seems to ignore the max TCP window
size when GSO is enabled on the interface, resulting in hundreds of kB
in flight which take ages to recover in case of losses => haproxy sees
nothing move and finally times out. Disabling GSO on that interface
completely fixed the issue, now the socket's send queues are reasonable
and match the configuration and I've not seen a timeout for the last
hour. There were always a few per hour previously that I always attributed
to the clients!

So I think it's really fixed now.

Cheers,