We are just using to load balance a Front-End pool in Lync 2010.

Each local Lync branch servers have one failover pool assigned, which is the
load balanced pool at datacenter (2 servers at datacenter).  And these two
front end servers is load-balanced using haproxy ( ports 80, 443, 8080, 4443 ).

~~~some info:
The following settings should be configured on your hardware load balancer to
properly load balance requests for Lync Web Services:
 •For internal Web Services virtual IPs (VIPs), set source_addr persistence
(internal port 80, 443) on the hardware load balancer. For Lync Server 2010,
source_addr persistence indicates that multiple connections coming from a
single IP address are always sent to one server to maintain session state.
 •For external Web Services virtual IPs (VIPs), set cookie-based persistence on
a per port basis for external ports 4443, 8080 on the hardware load balancer.
For Lync Server 2010, cookie-based persistence indicates that multiple
connections from a single client are always sent to one server to maintain
session state. To configure cookie-based persistence, the load balancer must
decrypt and re-encrypt SSL traffic. Therefore, any certificate assigned to the
external web service FQDN must also be assigned the 4443 VIP of the hard load
balancer.
 ◦Cookies must not be set to HTTP only.
 ◦Cookies must not be configured with an expiration time.
 ◦Cookies must be configured to filter on ‘MS WSMAN’.
 ◦Cookies must be set in every HTTP response for which the incoming HTTP
request did not have a cookie, regardless of whether a previous HTTP response
on that same TCP connection had already obtained a cookie. If the Load Balancer
optimizes cookie insert to only occur once per TCP connection, that
optimization MUST NOT be used.
 •If a reverse proxy is used, set the Forward host header to True in the
reverse proxy publishing rule for port 4443. This will ensure that the original
URL is forwarded to the target web server.
~~~
:
http://blogs.technet.com/b/nexthop/archive/2011/11/03/hardware-load-balancer-requirements-for-lync-server-2010.aspx