Hi Kevin,

what I also see different between those 2 builds is that the openssl
seems to be build with OpenSSL 0.9.8y in your former, working build
and OpenSSL 0.9.8r in the latter, crashing build, but always runs with
0.9.8y:

> Built with OpenSSL version : OpenSSL 0.9.8y 5 Feb 2013
> Running on OpenSSL version : OpenSSL 0.9.8y 5 Feb 2013

> Built with OpenSSL version : OpenSSL 0.9.8r 8 Feb 2011
> Running on OpenSSL version : OpenSSL 0.9.8y 5 Feb 2013

So I wonder if something changed on your side between those 2 builds or
whether the Makefile is screwing with the paths when compiling with PCRE.

Could this be related to the fact that we call pcre-config call in the
Makefile, as per discussion in the thread "Static haproxy/openssl build
error"?

Could you try what happens if you apply the patch from:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.haproxy/13547

(basically removing the line with "shell pcre-config --prefix" from the
Makefile).

Not sure if this could be a reason for the crash, but we should probably
look into it as well.

Regards,

Lukas