Lukas,

For the record: are you using HAproxy SSL functionality or do you
> use something else, like stunnel or stud in front of haproxy? That
> would make a big difference.

We're terminating the SSL connections in haproxy, itself -- no stunnel or
stud.

> Also, with what IE release on which Windows OS have you been able
> to reproduce this? A lot of things have changed in the IE releases
> and the tcp stacks as well (one of the links talks about a bug in the
> NT 4.0 tcp stack for example).

It's starting to sound like those links I provided earlier might not apply,
but you're right about MS/IE and their ever-changing network stack, so I'll
answer your question nevertheless. :) We've gotten quite a few reports from
users, and it seems like they're all using Windows 8 or 8.1 and IE 11.
That's also the version I was able to successfully reproduce this on.

I also thought I'd include this for posterity -- it was some out-of-band
communication with Willy, which I hope he doesn't mind me including.

On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 1:40 AM, Willy Tarreau wrote:

> OK thanks. So what it looks like is that MSIE is using the awful
> preconnect mechanism that its competitors chrome and firefox use
> as well, but the difference is that it doesn't know how to do it
> correctly! Because as you can see, there's no request sent over
> the connection in 10 seconds. And it starts using it after receiving
> the close...

I suppose it's wrong for me to be responding to that in a different thread,
but I'll give it a shot anyway. I wholeheartedly agree that IE is doing
multiple things wrong, here... making a request after the FIN, as well as
reading a response that was made before the request was even made. However,
I'm a bit confused as to why HAProxy was sending a 408 at all in this
instance. There wasn't a request made prior to it sending that 408, so
something seems a bit fishy there, too. I could be completely missing
something, though.

> You should try to clear the 408 message to see if MSIE handles the
> situation any better. But that would be a shame, because this message
> exists exactly for this purpose and all web servers emit it, so all
> MSIE users are bothered by this stupid bug.
> In order to do this, just add the following in your frontend :

>      errorfile 408 /dev/null

Good call! It sounds to me like that would be a reasonable workaround for
these folks using IE. A bummer for everyone else, but hopefully they won't
be adversely affected. I'll change my timeouts back to the more-sane 10 or
15 seconds, and start using a null 408 error file to see what the reports
from our users sound like. It shouldn't be too long before we have an idea
if that helped or not.

--
Andy Walker
System Administrator