On 4/14/14, 10:31 AM, "Willy Tarreau" <w...@1wt.eu> wrote:

>On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 02:02:46PM +0000, Juan  Jimenez wrote:
>> Like most people who subscribe, I do so because I
>> want to follow the discussions on the product and have more than a
>>passing
>> interest in it, especially since the current dev version addresses
>>things
>> that are needed to be useful in the configuration we are supporting.
>> Subscribe/Unsubscribe is a simple process in virtually all mailing lists
>> now. Like I said, this is 2014?
>
>Yes, and 2014 means what ? spam everywhere has become standard. OK.
>And subscribing/unsubscribing is painful and impolite for people who are
>CCed and try to respond and get rejected. It happened to me a few times
>on other lists and I simply dropped the mail I tried to send because I
>wasn't going to subscribe for this.
>
>Also, we're in 2014. You're not forced to read the discussions via the
>list, there are marc.info and gmane as well.
>
>Willy

I will mention a couple of points and leave it at that. I¹ve been
operating mailing lists for decades, I get zero spam on the ones I own by
taking simple measures to prevent it, and the subscribe/unsubscribe is so
painless than no one complains about it. If someone wants to read and not
participate, I allow that as well by making the threads public. If they
want to ask questions and participate, I require them to subscribe because
I respect the rights of those who do accept a little bit of work in
exchange for getting value from the list.

Juan