Hi Edwin,

On Wed, Jul 09, 2014 at 02:42:43PM -0400, Edwin wrote:
> I've wanted to add my 2¢. Recently, I've compiled some software (not
> HAProxy however), using CPU=native as a make option, in a virtual
> machine on a Citrix XenServer 6.2. Although the software was able to
> compile successfully, it would fail on execution with a SIGILL.
> Recompiling the same piece of software with CPU=core2 (or CPU=generic)
> yielded a fully functional binary, so it could be possible that the CPU
> instruction set is not properly detected by the compiler (especially in
> virtualized environments).

That's very interesting indeed. I remember reading a bug report somewhere
about some CPU capabilities flags not always being correctly reported in
certain VMs. If SSE falls in that category and is not present nor emulated,
that could cause exactly such things.

I suspect we'll have to remove CPU=native from the README in order to save
people from using it in such bogus environments if it causes issues.

Thanks,