Hi Mark,
this is the first mail from the mailing list I'm reading, after some days off ;-)

Le 04/08/2014 11:44, Mark Brooks a écrit :
We have started doing some testing with the external health check
functionality but unfortunately we cannot get the real servers to be
marked as online when using this feature.

This was tested with haproxy-ss-20140720

When using the external check the real servers are never marked as up.
The external script being called just exits with a status of 0, we are
getting this in the log -
Aug  4 09:00:19 lbmaster haproxy[31688]: Health check for server
VIP_Name/RIP_Name-1 failed, reason: External check passed, code: 0,
check duration: 6002ms, status: 0/2 DOWN.

It looks like the check is passing but its not bringing the service online.

Well, you're right. There was a typo in the code where a successful check was flagged as CHK_RES_FAILED instead of CHK_RES_PASSED.

I'm going to send a patch, after looking at some other issues with external checks. For example, see the check duration in the logs, it looks weird to me.
I'll also try to reproduce the segfault reported by Bjoern.

--
Cyril Bonté