On Sat, 2015-03-21 at 14:03 +0100, Lukas Tribus wrote:
> > haproxy is a tcp (layer 3/4) proxy, that can perform application (layer
> > 7) functions. i am already doing service checks against my proxies to
> > validate their availability. when no pool member is available, haproxy
> > knows it. there are no external helpers needed to make this
> > determination. the layer 7 capabilities make this possible.
> >
> > the injection of a RST is part-and-parcel to the tcp proxy
> > functionality. i can understand if the functionality in not in haproxy,
> > but it is not outside the realm of capability for a t.
>
> The 3 way TCP handshake happens before the application (haproxy) is even
> aware of the session, therefor this is only possible if the kernel handles
> it (iptables), which is why I said its only possible with external helpers.
>
> Or is what you are requesting to send a RST in the middle of an already
> established TCP session?
>

> Please CC the mailing list.
>

> Lukas

sorry, thought i did cc the list.

i will have to test out the behavior, as this is an implemented solution
where i work, using other products.  i can test a couple of different
scenarios that come to mind.

1, new browser session comes in to the load balancer, and no backend
servers are available.  where / when is the RST sent?

2, a session to the load balanced exists, and the backend servers become
unavailable.  where / when is the RST sent?

i'll run these scenarios and let you know what i find in a packet
capture.