On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 7:15 AM, Krishna Kumar (Engineering)
<krishna...@flipkart.com> wrote:
> Hi Baptiste,
>
> On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 1:24 AM, Baptiste <bed...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Also, during the test, the status of various backend's change often
>> > between
>> > OK to DOWN,
>> > and then gets back to OK almost immediately:
>> >

>> > www-backend,nginx-3,0,0,0,10,30000,184,23843,96517588,,0,,27,0,0,180,DOWN
>> >
>> > 1/2,1,1,0,7,3,6,39,,7,3,1,,220,,2,0,,37,L4CON,,0,0,184,0,0,0,0,0,,,,0,0,,,,,6,Out
>> > of local source ports on the system,,0,2,3,92,
>>
>> this error is curious with the type of traffic your generating!
>> Maybe you should let HAProxy manage the source ports on behalf of the
>> server.
>> Try adding the "source 0.0.0.0:1024-65535" parameter in your backend
>> description.
>

> Yes, this has fixed the issue - I no longer get state change after an hour
> testing.
> The performance didn't improve though. I will check the sysctl parameters
> that
> were different between haproxy/nginx nodes.
>
> Thanks,
> - Krishna Kumar

You have to investigate why this issue happened.
I mean, it is not normal. As Pavlos mentionned, you connection rate is
very low, since you do keep alive and you opened only 500 ports.

Wait, I know, could you share the keep-alive connection from your nginx servers?
By default, they close connections every 100 requests... This might be
the root of the issue.

The configuration I sent you just tells haproxy to manage himself the
source ports on behalf of the kernel. It is much more efficient for
this task. We never enable it, since in most cases, kernel is good
enough.

Baptiste