The performance is really good now, thanks to the great responses on this
list. I also increased the nginx's keepalive to 1m as Pavlos suggested.

# ab -k -n 1000000 -c 500 http://<haproxy>:80/64
Transfer rate:          53414.40 [Kbytes/sec] received
(both values are as good as doing direct backend)

# ab -k -n 100000 -c 500 http://<haproxy>:80/256K
Transfer rate:          1074111.06 [Kbytes/sec] received
(4.8% less for both numbers as compared to direct backend)

If it is helpful, I can post the various parameters that were set (system
level + haproxy + backend) if it will be useful for someone else in future.

Thanks,
- Krishna Kumar