Hello,

Everything said here is based on my opinion, so just add "IMO" in front
of every sentence :)

On 6/25/2015 6:01 PM, Remi Gacogne wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> I was unaware that BoringSSL removed the callback, but in that case, could
>> we limit this feature to only OpenSSL? I¹m also not seeing how using this
>> callback prevents rfc5077, could you please elaborate.

Although we are expecting to gain a lot on server side CPU usage, we
absolutely must not disable TLS session tickets as there are many
clients not supporting EC.

> Yes, choosing a common suite supported by both side is a necessity. But
> when there is more than one common suite, which happens most of the
> time, you can either follow the client's preference or the server one.
> Right now, it seems that we have a consensus to follow the server's
> choice (see ssl_prefer_server_ciphers on for nginx, SSLHonorCipherOrder
> on for Apache HTTPd, ..) and I believe we should continue to do that in
> HAproxy because legacy clients have a long history of choosing crappy
> ciphersuite (look at the recent export fiascos, for example).

I also consider this best practice and would like to keep current behavior.

>> Tying this feature into 1.0.2 would definitely make it easier, I agree. It
>> just will hinder adoption.
>
> That's true, but I am afraid doing otherwise would require adding a
> complex logic in the TLS stack of HAproxy, so sadly I am more enclined
> to require 1.0.2 for people willing to use this feature.

OpenSSL being pretty complex, I prefer this approach also. People who
want best performance will go with 1.0.2 anyways due to performance
improvements. For example, RSA2048 on 1.0.1e gives 850 signs/s, while
1.0.2c gives 1470 signs/s (Xeon v3 CPU).

Just my 2c.

Regards,
Nenad