On 23.11.2015 22:38, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 12:19:22PM -0600, Andrew Hayworth wrote:
>> That said, the difference between one and two map lookups is
>> negligible, so I don't think you're saving much this way and it'll
>> make configuration harder in some ways if you keep adding IPs. I can
>> vouch from personal experience in production that we run 2+ map
>> lookups on every request at Braintree (hundreds of req/s) and it adds
>> no noticeable latency. Food for thought. :)
>
> I agree, depending on the map size, you'll see something between 1 and 10
> million lookups per second, it's quite cheap. I do abuse them as well and
> I don't bother about the number of lookups. Sure if I have to match a
> country among a few tens, I'll certainly use a variable first, but otherwise
> I don't care.

I'm going to use multiple lookups until I can upgrade to 1.6 because I
agree that it's not going to cause any major issues in our current setup.
It's just that when I'm looking the same value up multiple times in a
map of about 800.000 values my coding sensibilities immediately go for
storing the result in a variable instead.

Regards,
  Dennis