Hi Simon,

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 09:09:21AM +0100, Simon Horman wrote:
> I took a first pass at defining a schema.
>
> * The schema follows what is described on json-schema.org (or at least
>   tries to). Is this a suitable approach?

I'll let others respond as I have no idea since I never need nor use JSON :-)

> * The schema only covers "show info" and "show stat" and the fields
>   are based on the typed output variants of those commands.
>   This leads me to several questions:
>   - Is this field selection desirable? It seems to make sense to me
>     as presumably the intention of the JSON output is for it to
>     be machine readable.

Yes in my opinion it's the goal. And these are the two only parts that
were converted to typed output for this reason.

>   - Is such an approach appropriate for other show commands?

At the moment I don't think so because the other ones are more related
to state management than statistics.

>   - And more generally, which other show commands are desired to
>     support output in JSON (in the near term)?

I can't think of any right now.

However I have a question below :

>                     "id": {
>                         "description": "Unique identifyier of object within
> proxy",
>                         "type": "integer",
>                         "minimum": 0
>                     },

Sometimes a description like above appears in your example, is it just
for a few fields or do you intend to describe all of them ? I'm asking
because we don't have such descriptions right now, and while I won't
deny that forcing contributors to add one when adding new stats could be
reasonable (it's like doc), I fear that it would significantly inflate
the output.

Also, do you have an idea about the verbosity of the dump here ? For
example let's say you have 100 listeners with 4 servers each (which is
an average sized config). I'm just looking for a rought order of magnitude,
ie closer to 10-100k or to 1-10M. The typed output is already quite heavy
for large configs so it should not be a big deal, but it's something we
have to keep in mind.

Oh BTW just to let you know, I'm working on a painful bug and possibly a
small regression which will force me to revert some recent fixes, so you
may still have a bit of time left :-)

Thanks,