On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 11:48:27AM +0100, Elias Abacioglu wrote:
> Yes, I have one node running with Solarflare SFN8522 2p 10Gbit/s currently
> without Onload enabled.
> it has 17.5K http_request_rate and ~26% server interrupts on core 0 and 1
> where the NIC IRQ is bound to.
>
> And I have a similar node with Intel X710 2p 10Gbit/s.
> It has 26.1K http_request_rate and ~26% server interrupts on core 0 and 1
> where the NIC IRQ is bound to.
>
> both nodes have 1 socket, Intel Xeon CPU E3-1280 v6, 32 GB RAM.

In both cases this is very low performance. We're getting 245k req/s and 90k
connections/s oon a somewhat comparable Core i7-4790K on small objects and
are easily saturating 2 10G NICs with medium sized objects. The problem I'm
seeing is that if your cable is not saturated, you're supposed to be running
at a higher request rate, and if it's saturated you should not observe the
slightest difference between the two tests. In fact what I'm suspecting is
that you're running with ~45kB objects and that your intel NIC managed to
reach the line rate, and that in the same test the SFN8522 cannot even reach
it. Am I wrong ? If so, from what I remember from the 40G tests 2 years ago,
you should be able to get close to 35-40G with such object sizes.

Oh just one thing : verify that you're not running with jumbo frames on the
solarflare case. Jumbo frames used to help *a lot* 10 years ago when they
were saving interrupt processing time. Nowadays they instead hurt a lot
because allocating 9kB of contiguous memory at once for a packet is much
more difficult than allocating only 1.5kB. Honnestly I don't remember having
seen a single case over the last 5+ years where running with jumbo frames
would permit to reach the same performance as no jumbo. GSO+GRO have helped
a lot there as well!

Cheers,