Pieter,

Am 03.05.2018 um 00:58 schrieb PiBa-NL:
> *snip* As for line
> lengths, it didn't even cross my mind to look at that. (i also didn't
> lookup the contributing either sorry, though it doesn't seem to specify
> specific line lengths.?.)

Indeed they are not specified for haproxy, but the line lengths are kind
of an unwritten standard in git usage.

The more important length is the one of the subject line. Both

gitweb: http://git.haproxy.org/?p=haproxy.git;a=shortlog

as well as

GitHub:
https://github.com/haproxy/haproxy/commit/ebaba754297f39b86959fbdc13f66e4534aadeae

truncate the first line after a certain length. Usually a length of 50
is recommended (e.g. the vim highlighter colors the line differently
after 50 characters). However for haproxy you lose about 10 characters
for the type + severity of the patch (BUG/MINOR).

The body is recommended to wrap at lengths between 72 and 76 characters.
Personally I just wrap so that it fits my default terminal size of 80x24
characters nicely.

And one last thing: Copied, literal, output of tools such as gdb for
stack traces should not be wrapped. It should simply exceed the width.

Best regards
Tim Düsterhus