Hi Aleks,

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 10:23:43AM +0200, Aleksandar Lazic wrote:
> > I'm not sure what you mean because the basic stuff (http actions, fetching
> > samples, ACLs etc) will be OK. What will definitely not be ready will be to
> > have a TCP frontend connecting to an HTTP backend, "tcp-request content"
> > rules processing HTTP elements, Lua, etc.
>
> Will be h2c possible, as some gRPC server starts with HTTP not HTTPS?

We don't have the H1-to-H2 upgrade at the moment, but 1.9 will support H2
without TLS (just specify "proto h2" on the "bind" or "server" lines).

> >> It could be that my expectation is unrealistic and lb software doesn't
> >> need to
> >> take any decisions based on those verbs/nouns.
> >
> > I don't know what is needed, but I definitely expect that at least this
> > should work :-)
>
> I think also but what I have seen out there is hat 'Te: trailers' could be a
> challenge, as this blog entry describes.
>
> https://nghttp2.org/blog/2015/03/24/proxying-grpc-with-nghttpx/
>
> I'm not sure if haproxy can handle this.

No we don't have trailers in H2 for now. However the good news is that
it's not because it's that difficult to implement, it's only because
nothing at all ever used them for 2 decades... until gRPC apparently
decided that they deserved more love. So I'm quite confident that we
could have trailers support not too long after 1.9. Thanks for pointing
this, this definitely helps! By the way, Tatsuhiro mentions H1 to H2
proxying in the article above, that's definitely something that should
work as well with haproxy with the new native internal representation.

Cheers,