Hi,

the only official supported way to identify a google bot is to run a
reverse DNS lookup on the accessing IP address and run a forward DNS
lookup on the result to verify that it points to accessing IP address
and the resulting domain name is in either googlebot.com or google.com
domain.

As far as I understand the lua api documentation, it is not possible in
lua to perform DNS requests in runtime mode, so the only solution would
be to use an external service to do the actual checking of an accessing
IP address and use lua to question the external service and cache the
result of the IP to increase performance.

So as I am not that experienced in lua programming my question is if
this is feasible or if I am missing something? Also, if there are other
solutions I am not aware I would be thankful if I got pointers.

Thanks in advance
Reinhard Vicinus