On Wed, Feb 16, 2022 at 09:57:45PM +0100, Christian Ruppert wrote:
> On 2022-02-16 19:08, Vincent Bernat wrote:
> > ? 16 February 2022 16:27 +01, Willy Tarreau:
> >
> > > Maybe that would even be a nice improvement for distros to provide
> > > these
> > > by default starting with 2.6 or maybe even 2.5.
> >
> > Why not enabling them directly on your side then? Are there some numbers
> > on the performance impact of these options? I am a bit uncomfortable
> > providing packages that perform slower than an upstream build.
>
> Do you want all those options to be enabled in distro packages or just some
> specific?

I don't know, as I mentioned in my previous response, it could be just
some or even none for now, waiting for finer granularity.

> Esp. for the ones that make up to 1-2% CPU usage I'd second
> Vicent's idea of enabling it by default. So anybody has the option to
> disable it, if 1-2% or perhaps some ns/µs delay really matters that much.

The difficulty is that the ratio can vary based on some use cases (esp
with buffer sizes), and we need to keep a sweet spot between performance
and difficulty of deploying something for a particular user case. But
once these are split and re-arranged, it could become easier to decide.

I agree with Vincent in general about the fact that the distro should
not deviate much from the original setup, and we've even changed some
default options in the past to preserve this sane principle. For now
I'm just trying to gauge interest and starting to put the focus on these
possibilities for those who know they can easily afford a small perf
drop and who think that it will not change anything for them,
particularly if it shortens the life of the bugs they're facing. The
granularity remains a bit too coarse right now to ask users to decide
before testing, and for us to decide for all of them.

Maybe we'll figure reasonable ways to turn some options to dynamic
in the future (thinking about what's done with pools, I'm pretty sure
that would be possible for almost half of the options, this would
solve the problem).

I'm still interested in this discussion and your opinions on this
(and do not hesitate to violently disagree with me, my goal is to
figure what's best for most users, while avoiding traps for newcomers).

Cheers,