Dear friends,
On February 16th 2007 I heard an African station on 1044 kHz, playing HoA
music. Although never confirmed by the station itself, several DX-ers found out
that I had heard the new Mekele station in Ethopia. In the 2008 edition of WRTH
there is a note about the station starting in January 2008.
Yesterday night, January 18th 2008, I heard again a station with exactly the
same programming style on 1044 kHz, lively HoA music and lots of "phone-ins",
at 21.50-later on, many times with better reception than the German MDR Info on
the same frequency. At 22.00 there was a news bulletin in presumed Amharic. I
believe that the station in Mekele is now on with regular programming. The
conditions towards Africa were generally good, because I earlier in the evening
also heard Radio Kahuzi on 6210 kHz for the first time.
73 from Björn Fransson, DX-ing on the island of Gotland, Sweden