With over $1 billion in damages and half a million residents displaced, the
wildfires still burning in Southern California amount to the largest natural
disaster to hit the United States since Hurricane Katrina.

Has the government reformed its emergency response procedures? Hardball's David
Shuster will have a report with the latest news and then we'll talk to
California Lt. Gov. John Garamendi about the federal aid his state is
receiving. Then, '08 candidate Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-CA) lost his home to
wildfires back in 2003 -- tonight he'll tell you how his San Diego constituents
are coping.

Next, a Congressional report released today estimates that the wars in Iraq and
Afghanistan could cost taxpayers over $2.4 trillion. Rep. David Obey (D-WI)
chairs the House Appropriations Committee and he'll join us to talk about the
fight over war funds in Congress.

Has Russian Pres. Vladimir Putin outmaneuvered Pres. Bush on the world stage?
Russian Presidential candidate Gary Kasparov, author of "How Life Imitates
Chess," will tell you what he thinks.

Plus, why does today's New York Post cover call '08 candidate Rudy Giuliani (R)
a "Red Coat"? And who did Sen. John McCain vow to "shoot with your products" at
a Smith and Wesson factory yesterday?

We'll have these stories and more in our roundtable discussion with Newsweek's
Howard Fineman, CNBC's Donny Deutsch and the Financial Times's Chrystia
Freeland.

For the latest on all of today's political news, go to the best political
website www.politics.msnbc.com, powered by NBC News and the National Journal.
And, don't forget to check out NBC's "First Read" and MSNBC.com's political
calendar.

Vidhya Murugesan compiled the "Hardball Briefing" from Washington, D.C.