The presidential candidates were busy on the '08 trail this holiday weekend
ratcheting up their attacks on rivals candidates, enlisting campaign help from
celebrities and courting the Sunday morning talk shows. Hardball's David
Shuster will report on the highlights and then we'll turn to Newsweek's Howard
Fineman and the Boston Globe's James Pindell for a look at where the primary
races stand.

We'll hear more about campaign strategy in the 38 days left until the Iowa
caucus from MSNBC's Mike Barnicle and the National Review's DeRoy Murdock.

Then, the Senate's No. 2 Republican Trent Lott (R-MS) announced today that he
will retire from the Senate before January 2008, becoming the sixth Republican
to announce retirement this election cycle. NBC News Political Director Chuck
Todd will tell you what effect Lott's decision will have on the GOP's prospects
next November.

Plus, why are masked impersonators following Fmr. NYC Mayor Rudy Giuliani (R)
on the campaign trail? And why is Fmr. Vice Pres. Al Gore back in the White
House?

We'll have more on the top political news in our roundtable discussion with the
WashingtonPost.com's Chris Cillizza, the Chicago Tribune's Jill Zuckman and the
Financial Times Chrystia Freeland.

And, don't miss today's Hardball Power Rankings live during the 7pm ET edition
of the show. We'll tell you which '08 candidates have moved up in the race to
the 2008 presidential nomination. It's only on Hardball, only on MSNBC.

For the latest on all of today's political news, go to the best political
website www.politics.msnbc.com, powered by NBC News and the National Journal.
And, don't forget to check out NBC's "First Read" and MSNBC.com's political
calendar.

Vidhya Murugesan compiled the "Hardball Briefing" from Washington, D.C.