Nancy,

when I load /home/kdt0p/.bash_rc I find only an empty
file (i.e. none existed.)  .bashrc does have data in
it.

Irregardless, I do have the variable properly set.
Here is the script I use to run VistA:

echo " "
echo " "
echo " "
echo "Starting GT.M VistA"
echo "-------------------"
echo "FYI, here are relevant defined variables:"
echo
echo "gtm_dist="$gtm_dist
echo "gtm_log="$gtm_log
echo "gtmgbldir="$gtmgbldir
echo "gtm_vista="$gtm_vista
echo "gtmroutines="$gtm_vista
echo "gtmroutines="$gtm_vista
echo "vista_home="vista_home
echo " "
echo "Entering GT.M system now... "
#-----------------------------
sh /usr/local/OpenVistA/vista --run
/home/kdt0p/OpenVista_UserData

And here is the output
[EMAIL PROTECTED] kdt0p]$ sh runvista

Starting GT.M VistA
-------------------
FYI, here are relevant defined variables:

gtm_dist=/usr/local/gtm
gtm_log=/usr/local/gtm/log
gtmgbldir=/home/kdt0p/OpenVista_UserData/g/mumps.gld
gtm_vista=/home/kdt0p/OpenVista_UserData
gtmroutines=/home/kdt0p/OpenVista_UserData
gtmroutines=/home/kdt0p/OpenVista_UserData
vista_home=vista_home

Entering GT.M system now...

But as I look now, I see that gtmroutines is not set
to /usr/local/VistA/r

Do I understand you to say that there should not be
one directory for the standard routines, and another
for user added routines?

Kevin