Debian Woody is certainly an appropriate Linux distribution to use.  A
1GHz CPU with 256 MB RAM and 5GB hard disk should be ample for
development purposes.

For production, 5GB will be inadequate once you start collecting patient
data.  Remember that you will need space for backups and journal files.
Remember also that this will be a mission critical application.  So,
when you go into production, I suggest you plan on purchasing a new
computer, a rack mount server grade hardware.  But for development, what
you have should be ample.

As Grandpa John points out, an alternative to Debian Woody would be to
start with one of the OpenVistA VivA live CDs from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/worldvista with which you can install
Linux, GT.M and VistA in one fell swoop.  These are Debian based, and
you can update them with apt/dpkg and friends.

X Windows is not required, but recommended.  For development, you will
be much happier running a terminal session in something like KDE than
you will be running in a console.  For production, if your users will be
running the CPRS GUI from Windows PCs, X Windows is less important.  But
why are you considering skipping X?

-- Bhaskar

On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 11:04, John Leo Zimmer wrote:
> Rather than Debian Woody you may want to consider one of our Morphix (also a
> Debian based product) bootable cdroms which are available here:
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2386
>
> Recommended: /worldvista/OpenVistAVivA0.4.iso
>
> You can install Debian AND VistA from that cd:
>
> regards,
> grandpa Z
>

> Healthcare, a human right.

This electronic mail transmission contains confidential and/or privileged
information intended only for the person(s) named.
Any use, distribution, copying or disclosure by another person is strictly
prohibited.

NOTE: Ce courriel est destine exclusivement au(x) destinataire(s) mentionne(s)
ci-dessus et peut contenir de l'information privilegiee, confidentielle et/ou
dispensee de divulgation aux termes des lois applicables. Si vous avez recu ce
message par erreur, ou s'il ne vous est pas destine, veuillez le mentionner
immediatement a l'expediteur et effacer ce courriel.