I'm just on my way out the door right now, but while I think the relational model sometimes gets a raw deal around here, I also agree that it is not the be and end all of database technology. If you try and sit down and work through the mathematics, you'll quickly find that object models have their problem (not insurmountable, IMO), too. I do think we're seeing the beginnings of a paradigm shift (and only recently forwarded the message from ACM Queue on "post-relational" technology). UML is maturing, metadata is really picking up steam, and I believe ODMG is a much more solid specification than Date and others give it credit for. On a theoretical level, there are a lot of areas of work (such as ontologies and computational applications of modal logic) that I believe are very promising. At the time of Dr. Codd's seminal work, many of these ideas were only beginning to take shape.

===
Gregory Woodhouse

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery