Ok - we have a thread on my favorite subject. My $.02 or less! Delete!
My hat's off to you, Nancy. I too, read it so I have an idea of your
investment.
More Bion: http://human-nature.com/rmyoung/papers/pap148h.html

I thought it an interesting view of the "internet group." Did you think it
may have lacked depth in the research and understanding of group dynamics of
today? For a treatise of that length, one might expect reference to
Tuckman's model of group dynamics, specifically Forming, Storming, Norming,
Performing, and Adjourning. http://www.chimaeraconsulting.com/tuckman.htm
In addition Agazarian has written extensively on groups is a highly regarded
modern day authority:
Agazarian, Yvonne M. & Peters, Richard.
http://karnacbooks.com/product.php?PID=5793
Then there is Eric Berne, Claude Steiner, Fritz Perls, and another whole
banner of contributors on groups. http://www.brianamartin.co.uk/docs/1.pdf

Referring to Tuckman's model I am reserving my opinion of the Hardhats
stage. Unfortunately, Storming, as described by Clay Shirky, is where many
groups end. This is a group outcome, whether internet, a church, or a group
formed to salvage a State Medicaid program. A new group enters the forming
(sometimes called honeymoon) stage. The stage is characterized by warm
fuzzies, feelings of belonging, and a general feeling "we are so cool."
Unfortunately, we too often forget - or fail to anticipate - the pain and
agony visited on us by the storming stage. This is where many groups crash
and burn. It may happen in a month, a year, or several years. This stage -
marked by competitiveness, maneuvering for position, growth of factions, and
scapegoats - may never reach the next stage. How the group deals with these
competing interests determines if they achieve the Norming stage where
everyone starts to understand their task, boundaries, and how they can share
a win with the group. At the heart of the process is the concept that we all
try to recreate our family of origin when we join a group. How we resolve
those issues determines the success of the group (and individual members).

Performing is where the work creates value and miracles are accomplished.
Few groups reach it. And few, who don't, ever understood what happened to
them.

Anyone care to pronounce the stage of Hardhats?

Thanks,

thurman

http://etd.rau.ac.za/theses/available/etd-09152004-120135/restricted/doctora
lthesis.pdf