----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Self" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

James Gray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Standard VistA uses a lookup routine on file 2. What do you recommend as an
alternative to the lookup routines used by VistA, RPMS, and VOE to create
the functionality those lookup routines provide?

I don't know anything about these lookup routines. If the essential functionality is modularized into non-interactive (silent, no I/O) subroutines and function calls then they could be extremely useful in web based patient registration interfaces or in other non-CHUI interfaces and perhaps they could be referenced from the metadata in the data dictionaries so that this functionality could be accessed from the Fileman API's.

The main thing that the VistA lookup routine does is help look for potential duplicate patients. I have not looked at the routine much. ^AUPNLK* does that and it makes sure that required fields in both file 2 and file 9000001 are populated correctly. Some of the code is old. Most of it was written before the silent calls were available. It uses classical calls within that code. It would take a lot of work to replace the functionality using something other than a lookup routine. I do not know how silent the code is.

Jim Gray