I understand.  While it's important to be able to identify the patient's
record when they're in the clinic, it's also important that all the
identifying information on their clinic record not be readily usable to
associate their clinic record to their public identity outside the clinic.
In other words, they want to be anonymous (for the most part, exempting of
course the usual legal contexts) everywhere except in the clinic.

There are several ways this can be accomplished.  Where the patient is able
to retain a unique number that you give to them, they can come back any time
and give that number to the clinic where the record can contain additional
identifying information that is not unique but of sufficient identifying
quality combined with the number they've been given to sufficiently confirm
that they've given the correct number for themselves.  (Such non-unique
traits may be things like birth city (assuming a sufficiently large city),
height, a favorite teacher or pet's name, etc.)

Another approach is to collect their public identity but keep that
information in an encrypted form which is associated with the local clinic
record ID.  To find the clinic ID (which is meaningless by itself other than
to associate past health information for the patient with new information),
the public ID traits are expressed when coming in to the clinic and the
encrypted information is used as the "key" to the clinic ID record.  The
public ID traits are discarded immediately and never retained in the clear.

VA uses a slight variation for the aggregation of HIV information in its
national registry.  The local facility has the identity of the person but
when the data is aggregated nationally, only an encrypted value of the local
ID is sent with the data to be aggregated.  If for some reason those
reviewing the national aggregate see that something needs to be communicated
to the individual, the only way that can be done is to pass back the
encrypted ID and necessary additional information to the site where the data
came from for the authorized person at the local site to process.