Exactly ;)  It should be ~8MB on each windows NTFS drive.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jamie Furtner
Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 2:44 PM
To: The Hardware List
Subject: Re: [H] Disk overlay?

On Tue, February 7, 2006 12:09 pm, Sam Franc wrote:
> Using Partitiom Magic there is 7.8mb unallocated showing before before
> the partition information. Is that a disk overlay program?
> What will it do to me in the future if left there?
> Sam

It may not be an overlay - if the drive was originally partitioned with
Windows (during setup or with Disk Management), it reserves at least 1 MB
free (I've usually seen 8 MB) on the disk right at the end -- so it can be
upgraded from a basic to a dynamic disk. This must be done to use Windows'
software RAID/JBOD capability.

I don't think Windows' own tools will even show that there's empty space.

Jamie

--
Jamie Furtner [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"I aim to misbehave"