I have had an HP 1012 for a couple of years and really like it. No trouble at all. Mind gets sporadic use as well. If you need support, though, I find that HP's is a big zero.

Jeff

----- Original Message ----- From: "Winterlight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <hardware@hardwaregroup.com>
Sent: Friday, March 31, 2006 4:00 PM
Subject: [H] desktop laser

I need a cheap Laser printer for documents and envelops. Very little use... on average a dozen envelopes, and 15 pages per month. What I want is something that is very reliable, no jams, no feed problems, minimizes paper curl ... in short... no freaking problems.

A couple of years ago I bought a inexpensive Konica Minolta 135 at Staples for this job. What a piece of crap. It is one month shy of two years old and I am still on the original sample cartridge, which shows you how little I need to print out on it.

When I first bought it I discovered it doesn't play nice with other printers .... it has to be the default printer. So I picked up a Netgear USB single device print server. Then at the end of every month I attempt to print out a few pages, and envelopes, and I have to fight with constant feed problems. Half the envelopes won't feed, and the cancel button takes a minute to clear out an error.So I have to power down, power back up, stack the envelopes and start over. And God help me if I want to print out more then one, or two normal pages, like a pdf manual, on any kind of paper, because I end up with a jam PDQ. You look at the inside of the printer, and it is still in new condition. No paper dust, no burns, nothing.

I have had enough of this thing, and it is time to try another brand of cheap laser but what? I don't care about speed, endurance, features, I just want it to work reliably the little bit I am going to use it. I am thinking about HP LaserJet1020 laser printer which I can get on sale for hundred bucks. Anyone have any experience with this.